Saturday 2 February 2013

A protagonist that embodies the flaws and weaknesses of the writer distracts the reader from the narrative itself. Agree/ disagree?


There are many advantages to writing a protagonist with similar flaws and weaknesses to the writer. Most obviously, in the case of relatively uncommon problems and obstacles, such as illness, mental conditions, or being on the receiving end of societal prejudices, writing as someone who has experienced these things can bring depth to the writing that may not be present in someone who has researched these things but has not experienced them first-hand. (Of course, it’s better to do actual research than read one newspaper article and start hammering away…)

Beyond that, if an author wishes to insert themselves or an aspect of themselves into the story as a protagonist, I suppose it’s more up to the skill of the writer as to whether that is distracting or not. If the flaws are used as a way of self-punching, then it’s going to need some serious editing  (who wants to read a story that is peppered with “I’m lazy, I’m selfish, I can’t play the violin or the piano or the ocarina or any musical instrument, I can’t do algebra, I hate myself, I forget things, I’m unassertive, I whinge too much…”?) but if used well it can be an interesting character and exploration of the author. 

If it's used too much it will probably be distracting, just because it's become recognisable. Even the most loyal fans are going to make jokes about how the writer has turned up in yet another of his books. (Seriously, I love Stephen King, but when he himself turned up in The Dark Tower my response was mostly "well, at least this time he's not using a proxy.")

3 comments:

  1. I tend to use some of my own flaws when creating a character; it's easier, as I've experienced them myself. But I can see what you mean in putting too many of those flaws in. Good insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely the depth that an author brings is really the illusion of depth, one that relies upon us believing that they report their experiences honestly? And even if they really do write as honestly as they can, they still only provide a very narrow individual view on whatever subject they are writing on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good peice of work, and I like the way you bring in Stephen King and state your own opinion. I might want to add in something to do with CHeever, and how the problems of many of his characters reflected his own backstory. (The Swimmer, for instance.)
    An author can be a great character, and I like how you don't discourage it, but state that it's all about presentation.

    ReplyDelete