Sunday 24 February 2013

My Inspirations



Good writers: reading a good book (or watching a good film/TV series, or playing a good game) is always inspiring. I started wanting to write when I was tiny – I read Jill Murphy’s The Worst Witch when I was in first school and dressed up as Mildred Hubble for World Book Day and wanted to wear my witch hat and write stories about witches. From there I went to Goosebumps and through various Urban Fantasy and Horror and the works of Stephen King and James Herbert and Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman…
Although I’m pretty sure that if I were in fact a witch, I would be trying to turn that into a career and also destroying excessively loud music systems in shops rather than writing. Sorry.

Bad writers: a lot of bad writing has a lot of potential. It’s kind of tragic that it’s not teased out. On the other hand, thank you, bad writers, you’ve given me something to play with. (Twilight, for example, is a well of 'good ideas done horribly' that never, ever runs dry.)

Nerdy research: It’s useful to have random facts in your head if you need inspiration. Sometimes it’s for stories. Sometimes it’s a reason why you’re juggling cheese or staring at cats.

My life: my life story is long, weird, and depressing as hell. On the other hand, I do have a wide range of emotional inspiration when writing. On the third hand, I’m not going to use it as direct inspiration. It has the potential to get too disturbing due to my personal feelings about these experiences.

As for what else? I don’t know. Being an introverted child with few friends and no siblings probably overcharged my imagination. That’s probably why I write; otherwise my brain would just overflow.

That and the fact that I was never accepted into Miss Cackle’s Academy.






I’m kidding.

3 comments:

  1. Ah, Mildred Hubble. The Worst Witch was fantastic, I wanted to go to Miss Cackle's academy or Hogwarts. Whichever would have been fine. A nice post as well, I like the list-like structure, it allows you to expand on quite concise points. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That’s probably why I write; otherwise my brain would just overflow."

    I like to think I'm in a similar situation, except I lack the attention span to wrangle the images into place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your informal approach to the blog - it makes it accessible to every reader and doesn't patronise. I also like the references to childhood books, most of which every single child our age would have flicked through at some point, even if it was on television.

    ReplyDelete